Ensure a competitive economic environment
Each year, relocating and existing businesses evaluate Providence’s economic environment against other regional and national cities. The Providence Foundation works to improve the city’s competitive position by making the development process more predictable through advancement of the following objectives:
Taxes and Regulation
- Pursue passage of a citywide administrative tax stabilization program.
- Advocate for a stable and eventually reduced commercial tax rate.
- Support efforts to sustain the state historic tax credit.
Business Attraction and Commercial Development
- Support real estate development projects that align with our mission and objectives.
- Help attract new businesses and the next generation of workers, including those in the technology and design sectors.
- Support the development of Providence's emerging innovation district.
- Market downtown retail, arts and residential amenities through a partnership with the Providence Downtown Improvement District (DID).
Next: Improving Public Space