Public Space and Infrastructure Improvements
The Providence Foundation drives economic development through transformative infrastructure projects. A vibrant city, with great public spaces, benefits all citizens and attracts future generations to live, work, and play in Downtown Providence. The Foundation works toward these goals by focusing on the following objectives:
- Lead advocacy efforts to build an attractive, appropriately sited intermodal hub proximate to the Amtrak station to support an improved statewide transit system.
- Convene stakeholders to bring enhanced MBTA service between Providence and Boston; advocate for continued and improved Amtrak service to Providence.
Parks and Public Space
- Lead efforts to create the Downtown Providence Parks Network as a driver of economic development, tourism and the general health and wellbeing of our citizens.
- Advocate for increased public space maintenance, repairs and improvements; pursue funds to dredge downtown rivers.
- Continue to revitalize Kennedy Plaza as a multi-functional civic square through the Downtown Providence Parks Conservancy.
- Increase positive use of public space through public programming, retail development, and infrastructure improvements.
- Partner with stakeholders to identify solutions to protect property and infrastructure.
Next: Our Legacy